Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Vegetable Garden

The vegetables in our 2 raised garden beds are growing---growing---growing! We've picked some cucumbers. The sweet corn patch is ready now! We told all our family to pick it NOW before the racoons get it.

We like to freeze sweet corn and have found an easy way for us is to cook extra batches on the evening that we prepare sweet corn for dinner. We cool it and cut it off the cobs and place in quart freezer bags, label, and freeze. When I make a corn casserole in the cold winter months with the forzen sweet corn, it is just delicious.

I used to do a lot of canning. I hope to get back to more of it. It's so nice to have home grown produce put up, whether it's frozen or canned.

Baked Corn Casserole

4 cups corn
1 cup milk
4 T melted butter
1 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. pepper
1 egg, beaten
2 T. Flour

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Combine all ingredients together in a large bowl except corn. Stir until well mixed and then stir the corn in. Pour into a greased 8x8 pan or similar sized oval or round pan. Bake for 1 hour or until top is slightly browned and a knife inserted in the center comes out clean.

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for stopping by my blog! Corn casserole is a favorite in my family but we use cornbread and sour cream! Yours is probably a bit more healthy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love corn casserole, my recipe is a little bit different and has cornbread in it. It's so exciting when vegetables are ready to harvest.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never tried corn casserole, gotta give that a try. Your gardens are ahead of mine here in Minnesota. My corn is now taller then me, the tomatoes are getting green tomatoes and the beans next week should start to be ready. Oh the beets will be ready too. Cabbage is baseball size and brocolli is large plant but small heads. I'm going to head over to the recipe exchange you talked about. There's never enough new recipes to try out.
    Thanks for sharing. Also thanks for stopping by. I am enjoying myself reading about all your adventure and ideas.
    Take care and have a safe and blessed weekend.

    ReplyDelete